What is Cell Saver?
Proper transfusion medicine seeks not only to reduce the risk of transfusions but to perform only the necessary ones and at the lowest possible cost.
Cell saver is a specific type of autologous blood transfusion, which involves recovering blood lost during surgery and re-infusion it into the patient. It is used in surgical procedures where significant blood loss is anticipated. If you are considering a Brazilian butt lift or other cosmetic surgery at Unique Aesthetic Center you can benefit from this procedure.
The collected blood is processed, and the blood product obtained is of high quality. Also, with this technique, the risks associated with the bank's blood transfusion are avoided.
One of the main concerns about the use of this technique is the quality of the blood that we obtain as a final product for re-infusion to the patient. Several studies have been conducted analyzing the blood processed by different autotransfusion systems, and the results have shown that the quality of the blood obtained is higher than that of the bank's blood.
Advantages of Transfusion with Cell saver
- The risk of incompatibility and transmission of viral diseases such as HIV, different varieties of hepatitis, malaria, etc. is avoided.
- Allows almost immediate blood supply at the end of each recovery cycle
- Decreases bank blood consumption
- Provides peace of mind for the patient, increasing acceptance of the transfusion
- The blood obtained has a higher quality than the bank's blood
Limitations and risks of autotransfusion with cell saver
- Loss of proteins produced by cell wash
- Clotting and bleeding abnormalities due to poor washing, inadequate filtration or reinfusion of contaminated blood for excessive time (greater than 6 to 8 hours)
- Dissemination of cancer cells by aspiration of invaded tissues
The self-transfusion rescue technique should be considered as an important option in the medical-surgical field. With its prompt and effective use and with the proper training that this technique entails, and the personnel that executes it, We would manage to reduce to a certain magnitude our mortality rate that is lived in the emergency department of our hospitals.
At Unique Aesthetic Center, we value the use of this technique for the well-being of our patients, so you can request this service if you wish. If you have questions about this procedure, call us and ask for your query so that you can clarify all your doubts.